8 March 2021 – The Global Parliament of Mayors has signed onto a Joint Statement to call for women’s leadership & political participation to build peaceful, just & inclusive cities. The statement has been initiated by GPM’s partner Peace in our Cities.
Too few of our local leaders and mayors are women. Although women account for more than 50% of the global population, they make up less than 5% of mayors. According to the United Nations, with data from 133 countries, women constitute only 36% of local elected officials.
On International Women’s Day, 2021 Peace in our Cities has launched a joint statement in support of women’s leadership and gender-responsive urban policy solutions to build peaceful and inclusive communities.
The statement’s signatories are
- Peace in Our Cities
- American Friends Service Committee
- Alliance for Peacebuilding
- Conciliation Resources
- Global Community Engagement & Resilience Fund (GCERF)
- Global Parliament of Mayors
- National Democratic Institute
- Peace Direct
- Peace Initiative Network
- Search for Common Ground
- Stanley Center for Peace and Security
- Strong Cities Network
- Global Network of Women Peacebuilders
To read the statement, please refer to:https://pluspeace.org/pioc-international-womens-day-2021