The impact of COVID-19 on the right to adequate housing: local government perspectives
- Peter Kurz, Mayor of Mannheim (Germany), Chair of the Global Parliament of Mayors
- Natacha Foucard, Chief of the Sustainable Human Development Section, Special Procedures Branch, OHCHR
- Balakrishnan Rajagopal, Special Rapporteur on the right to adequate housing
- Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr, Mayor of Freetown (Sierra Leone), GPM member
- Lorena Zárate, former President of Habitat International Coalition
- Sheila Foster, Scott K. Ginsburg Professor of Urban Law and Policy, Georgetown University, Co-Chair of the GPM Advisory Committee (moderator)
The panel members will respond to short interventions from local government official representing different contintents and to questions from the attendees.
- Grace Mary Mugasa, Mayor of Hoima, Uganda, 2nd Vice Chair of the GPM Executive Committee
- Luca Montuori, Deputy Mayor for Urban Design, Rome City Council, Italy
- Mohanna Al-Kattan, Executive Director of Licenses, Greater Amman Municipality, Jordan
- Malusi Booi, Councillor and Mayoral Committee Member for Human Settlements at City of Cape Town, SA
- Julian Higson, Director for Housing and Landlord Services at Bristol City Council, UK
- Marisa Novara, Commissionner, Department of Housing, City of Chicago, USA
- Christophe Lalande, Housing Lead Specialist, Land, Housing and Shelter Section, UN-Habitat, Nairobi, Kenya
Local and regional government officials
The opportunity will be given to share emerging good practices at local level to protect the rights of tenants, renters and home owners, and various groups at risk of marginalization, including persons living in situation of homelessness, in collective housing, institutional settings, or in informal settlements and exchanged views on how to scale up actions for the creation of adequate housing for all.
- Call for input: Covid-19 and the right to housing of UN Special Rapporteur Rajagopal.
- Op-ed by Mr. Rajagopal in the Washington Post: “The Pandemic shows why we need to treat housing as a right”, 7 May 2020.
- COVID-19 guidance notes developed by the previous Special Rapporteur on the right to adequate housing, Ms. Leilani Farha.
- For questions on the programme contact Baharan Andishmand